Sunday, September 25, 2011

DAY 25

It's always refreshing coming home from vacation and getting back to reality.  Even when reality isn't exactly what you want it to be, there is a sense of peace that comes with your own routine.

During the first 5 minutes of Sacrament meeting today, Camden had to be taken out.  He likes to act tough when we are out in public.  He chooses to test my patience just a little more because he thinks I won't follow through with discipline when others are around.  His latest trick is pulling his fist back like he's gonna punch you whenever you say something controversial to his thinking.

"Camden please put that bag away, it's too noisy and we don't play with it at church."
He twists the bag up and tries extra hard to make more noise than he was before I said anything.
"Camden!"  I give him the look of death.
He crunches the bag to make more noise while laughing in my face.
"I won't ask you again.  You have two choices; you can put the bag away, or you can keep playing with it and I'll take you out in the hall.  You choose."
He pulls the hand not crunching the noisy bag back into a fist, grits his teeth, and growls.
Out came the Lobster claw to drag him outside while he screams, "I won't do that again, you are hurting me!"
I followed through with the threat.  He sat outside on the curb in timeout and was embarrassed when people were looking at him.

Fast forward to the last 10 minutes of sacrament meeting.  Out of no where Jace becomes hysterical for a drink of water.  There is no way to reason with him.  He doesn't understand why he has to wait until after the meeting.  It's only ten minutes.  But those ten minutes were pure torture.  It would have been so much easier for both he and I(and everyone within hearing distance) if I had just let him have the blasted drink of water.  But I'm convinced he will be a better Dad someday when he fully understands and appreciates why I think he can go 1 hour and 10 minutes without a snack or drink.  But until he can understand that, I am just torturing him for the fun of it.

Seriously?  This is the normal life I enjoy and feel refreshed to come back to?

To make myself feel better, I enlisted the help of Dan and my Mom to make a mean ol' batch of fresh salsa.


I feel better already.

1 comment:

Bubbly Faces said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that loooovvvesss to torture my children during church!! Seriously sacrament meeting is the longest and hardest hour of my week... Just livin the dream, living the dream :)