Sunday, September 11, 2011

DAY 11

I'm sad I don't have any pictures for today, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.  I will just have to list a few things for memory sake.


Jace woke up with a swollen, red, splotchy, "hurty" foot. He was limping around most of the day. It is the same foot he got a bee sting in last Monday, it's just weird it decided to manifest it's "hurty" today.

Camden was lucky enough to say the dinner prayer.  Or should I say, we were lucky enough to hear his dinner prayer tonight.  Part of his thoughtfulness was on my behalf... "and please bless that Mommy will be nice".

Now that I'm a mom I love being the one to ask what everyone learned at church today.  A conversation that drove me crazy when I was younger.  Today Camden said he learned about a guy who couldn't see with his eyes.  Jesus put water on his eyes and the man could see again.  Jace said he learned about, snackies, bubbles, and "popcorn on the apricot tree".
I learned a lot of things at church today but one of them was how it feels to be old.

While at church I participated in and listened to discussions about what took place ten years ago today.  I found myself surrounded by youth who were too young to remember where they were and how they felt that day.  The memories and feelings that I have surrounding those events are merely something they read about in textbooks.  They have heard stories from their parents and leaders, but cannot relate to that day like I can.  Wow...has it really been ten years?

President Thomas S. Monson wrote an article in the Washington Post about what happened that day.  He said, "If there is a spiritual lesson to be learned from our experience of that fateful day, it may be that we owe to God the same faithfulness that He gives to us. We should strive for steadiness, and for a commitment to God that does not ebb and flow with the years or the crises of our lives. It should not require tragedy for us to remember Him, and we should not be compelled to humility before giving Him our faith and trust. We too should be with Him in every season...It is constancy that God would have from us. Tragedies are not merely opportunities to give Him a fleeting thought, or for momentary insight to His plan for our happiness. Destruction allows us to rebuild our lives in the way He teaches us, and to become something different than we were. We can make Him the center of our thoughts and His Son, Jesus Christ, the pattern for our behavior. We may not only find faith in God in our sorrow. We may also become faithful to Him in times of calm."

No comments: