Monday, November 12, 2007

48 Hours Without Food

I am glad to see today coming to a close. What a draining day we had!

First of all neither Camden or I had the best night's sleep, seeing how he would wake up moaning off and on. And second of all, the crying started at 6 in the am! You hear mothers talk about their children that would cry for hours at a time, day in and day out, for months. My heart goes out to you mothers. I am not fit to be one of those saints. Camden cried for 5 hours straight and nothing I did or said would console him. Talk about emotionally exhausting for both of us. I seriously didn't think it would ever stop, or that I would be sane once it did.

Today was the start of the second day that he has had nothing but pedialyte to drink. I felt abusive. I knew he was fine and he wouldn't starve to death. But at the same time I didn't think it was fine for me to deprive him of food and nutrition. But being the obedient person I am, I listened to the doctors advice and gave him 1 teaspoon of pedialyte every ten minutes for over three hours! Talk about clock watching! Talk about torture!! Talk about teasing the poor kid!!! Ten minutes is a LONG time when you can hear your child's tummy rumbling. This was very hard for me. We finally made it past three hours and I felt good about giving him 2 teaspoons...then 3... you get the point. Every time I got to increase the amount I felt like having a party. I was seriously so proud of him for making it this long and not throwing up anything!!! If they made a bumper sticker that read, "Proud Parent of a Non-Thrower-Upper", you bet your booty it I'd slap that baby on the back of my car.

So to end the night he received..........drum roll please..........two ounces to hold him over until morning. Do you think he will last the whole night???
When he finally started drooling again tonight I wanted to cry. It was so monumental I had to take a picture to document. Up until I took this picture, his lips were dry and mouth getting the same. I am so glad to see life filtering back into him!

Now that this day is over and Camden is fast asleep and resting comfortable; I can't help but think how silly this whole thing was. As I finish typing this post I want to erase it so nobody can read and see what a mess I was! But at the same time, he is bound to get sick again some other time in his life. And seeing your child sick, and feeling totally helpless is heartbreaking, but not the end of the world.

So here's to hoping tomorrow is even better than today!



You poor thing. Im glad your boy seems to be getting better...worse feeling in the world not being able to do anything for your child except ride it out!

Rebecca said...

Oh Lissa! How horrible to have to watch your baby go through that. Those are the times when a mom really wishes she could take her child's place... {{{hugs}}}

Evan and Cara Fish said...

Well, this one time with Maggie...just kidding. So hard. Good for you for listening to the doctor. Sounds like it is working. You are a dang tough mom...