Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I Need A Nap

Camden is growing up so fast I can hardly believe my eyes. I just finished looking at some pictures taken the day he was born and compared them to now. WOW! It is amazing the difference and growth six(almost seven) months brings.

There are moments when I feel like I was just pregnant, or that I just gave birth. Those moments are usually when I feel clueless about this whole parenting thing. You would think by now I might know why my child barfs all the time, or what sets him off, or what makes him the happiest. But just when I get the hang of it, he moves on to the "next phase" and I am back at square one.

The past few days have been rather trying in the parenting department. Right now I blame it on the fact that Camden's top teeth are coming in. But then again, I think I have been blaming it on that for the past month. He just doesn't nap like he used to, he gets up several times in the night, he is a lot more fussy, he doesn't eat the same, he wants a bottle ALL THE TIME, he poops way too much for my liking. You name it, it's gettin' on my nerves!

So this morning as I was talking myself into getting up out of bed to get my crying child, way before he should've been awake. I couldn't help but think of how LONG these last 6 months have felt. It feels like an eternity since I have had a nap in the middle of the day, or a full nights sleep, or a day of doing nothing with no responsibility, a quite house, sleeping in, running errands quickly. I was feeling so sorry for myself!

That was until I walked into Cam's room and as soon as he saw my face, the crying stopped and a huge smile appeared. And it brought me back to the moment I saw his first smile. Just like it was yesterday.

Funny how time can play tricks on your mind.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Those are hard times... but you're right, their little smiles make it all worth it. And their love only gets better and better! :)

Unknown said...

Lissa, I am telling you there is nothing more liberating than sleep teaching!! It sounds to me like Camden wants you for comfort in the middle of the night and a bottle for comfort during the day. If you are ready, you will LOVE the day you teach him to soothe himself!!! You will sleep through the night just like HIM!! If you want to talk about this, call me. I love you dearly and miss you most!!