Tuesday, February 19, 2008

mmm...mmmm...good

A huge tradition from my side of the family is making homemade ice cream at family get togethers. I remember when I was younger my Papa had an old school ice cream maker that you had to churn manually. All the grandkids would take turns with Papa and help make the ice cream. It seems whenever I call home and my family is eating together I ALWAYS ask what's for dessert(I think I have a problem). I totally get jealous when I can't be there with them for homemade ice cream. So this last year for Christmas my parents got us the exact same ice cream maker they have, it's the best kind! I have been wanting to bust it out but been afraid to make a huge thing of ice cream for fear I'd eat it ALL. Well, tonight we invited over a few friends to share this delightful treat with. It always makes me a bit nervous to have people over when trying a new recipe I have never made before(my Mom and Nanny always made it when I was home, I just ate it). But I was pleased with the results and I think they were too.
Doesn't that look so thick and creamy? It was yummmmmy! I am sure we will be having this more often, only next time we will venture out and try another flavor other than vanilla.

And just in case someone didn't want ice cream I made molten lava cake as well.

Here are the recipes:

Molten Lava Cakes
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sugar
Butter eight 6oz ramekins with the above 2 Tbsp and sprinkle with sugar. This is to be sure you can get your cakes out once cooked.

6oz semisweet baking chocolate
1 1/2 sticks butter
3 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup flour

In a medium sauce pan melt chocolate with the 1 1/2 sticks of butter over LOW heat. Cool slightly.
Whisk eggs and egg yolks in medium bowl. Then whisk in flour, powdered sugar, and melted chocolate.
Pour into prepared ramekins, dividing equally.
Place ramekins on baking sheet(can be made several hours in advance at this point-cover and chill until ready to bake).
Pre-heat oven to 450, bake cakes for 10-12 minutes until edges are cooked but center is still soft.
Remove from overn, while still warm run a small knife around cakes to loosen, turn over onto serving platter.
Serve warm topped with ice cream and strawberries.

Vanilla Ice Cream
1/2 pint whipping cream
2 quarts of Half and Half
3 cups sugar
2 pkg of "junkit ice cream mix", or six tablets(this is found in a small box by the jello)
2 Tbsp vanilla extract

Mix junkit and sugar together. Stir in cream and 1/2 of half anf half. Pour into ice cream maker. Add remaining half and half and vanilla extract. Stir. Let your ice cream maker work some magic!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

We had one of those when I was a kid, too! Yummy. And thanks for the recipe!!! (I love that cake, I just hope I can make it as well as you do...)

CANADIAN AMERICAN FAMILY said...

I wish I was there to share some of the goodness!!