Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Camden Daniel

So this is when things got a little foggy for me. My nurse wheeled me into the operating room around 7:30pm. I crawled up onto the operating table, the anesthesiologist gave me the magic potion and told me I would be completely numb from my chest down in less than five minutes. And he wasn't lying. I remember having the urge to bend my legs but couldn't. I also remember passing gas and had NO control whatsoever(I know, how embarrassing). They strapped my arms down, placed oxygen in my nose, brought Dan in and went to work. The smell of burning flesh was in the air, I could feel no pain, but quite a bit of pressure. I remember the moment they pulled him out because I loudly exclaimed, "I can breath". For so much of this pregnancy I felt like he was up under my rib cage making it hard for me to breathe, and sure enough he was. I heard him cry(a relief for any mother), and waited for what felt like an eternity to see him.

I remember being scared seeing blood coming from his mouth when they held him close to me, but was told not to worry. I immediately felt anxious not being able to hold him and felt ripped off that they took him away so quickly. Dan followed the nurses into the nursery and watched him get his first bath and bottle.

From this point on I am not sure of everything that went on but am grateful for the pictures to prove I was really there. I had some negative side effects from the morphine in the epidural and began itching immediately. In order to soothe the itching they had to turn off my epidural as well as pain medication but nonetheless I stayed pretty wiped out. I was groggy and not allowed to be left alone with Camden.

Dan took care of everything( I never changed a diaper the entire hospital stay) and was in heaven watching his son's every move.

We were fortunate enough to have our "family away from home" rooming right next door. Tiffani's brother and his wife had baby Calli the same day, same doctor, and by c-section. I didn't need much entertaining because I was out of it for the next three days but I know this was nice for Dan. Having them next door was a little bit of normal-ness(is that a word?) in this life changing time.
Happy Birthday Camden Daniel Walker

7lbs 6oz and 21 1/4in

June 12, 2007

7:50pm

No comments: